We have seen an increase recently of shed breaks where high value items are being targeted. This is a good time to review your security around garden sheds, garages and any other outbuildings.
Homeowners can reduce the risk of becoming a victim by following these steps
1. Use a good quality padlock and check your hinges as these are sometimes easily removed.
2. Alarm it – Consider a battery operated shed alarm, these can respond to any movement with a loud siren. If you have a burglar alarm why not extend it to cover outbuildings and sheds if you are storing expensive items.
3. We all store tools in sheds/outbuildings so don’t give thieves the tools to commit crimes Lock everything away securely and if you have windows keep items out of sight or obscure windows.
4. If you have bikes please chain them to the ground or use a lockable stand.
5. Install outside security lighting, which comes on automatically at dusk
6. Mark your property with your postcode and house number, this makes stolen property easier to trace and be positively identified as yours. Please also photograph items.
7. Have you considered getting involved with your local neighbourhood watch scheme, if you would like further information on neighbourhood watch then please get in touch
Please also ensure that your home insurance covers the contents of your shed and any other outbuildings from theft.